Wednesday, August 01, 2007

1979

It was fun for a while
There was no way of knowing
Like dream in the night
Who can say where we´re going
No care in the world
Maybe i´m learning
Why the sea on the tide
Has no way of turning


Roxy Music - More than this

Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric

1979..... The year The Cure released Boys don't Cry...... The year Apocalypse Now was showing in theatres.....

Has it been that long, was I so young at the time.......?

Gary Numan / Tubeway Army's Are Friends Electric is an anthem for that period. When you look at both clips, I just wish I had been 19 in 1979...... Those images, that style, the atmosphere,.... I was too young to realise it, but it was the beginning of an era when everything that still matters to me, was shaped and imagined. Sounds and musical/lyrical combinations that were never heard off. The upcoming of New Wave and the demise of Punk Rock, the availability of home computers like the Commodore 64 and the Amiga 500. Atari's uprise and the popularity of Arcade games. The creation of Apple/Microsoft/.....

Things that seem prehistoric nowadays where top of the line back then. One thing remains though: the music they created then is still withstanding the test of time and a lot of these songs are still being covered at this time. Whenever I hear any of Numan's classics, they seem to withstand the test of time. I don't know how he feels about his music, but his songs are more "art" than music if you ask me. He kind of opened the way for many other styles and groups like Kraftwerk and an entire Goth/Wave/Synthesizer scene discovered new paths to explore.

There are a lot of Tubeway Army / Gary Numan songs I like: We are Glass, Dark, ... but Cars and Are Friends Electric remain the ones I like the most and which I relisten to quite frequently.

Gary Numan - Cars