Saturday, July 28, 2007

There is a light .....

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free
But youll never follow me
The end of laughter and soft lies
The end of nights we tried to die
This is the end


The Doors - The End

The Smiths - There is a Light that Never Goes Out


The mood I was in in between my 17th and 21th probably shaped my taste for music, and the Smiths' sound definitely was one I could totally relate to. Nostalgic, moody, tragic, complex...... some would call it depressing..... I don't. The combination of Johnny Marr's and Morrissey's talents resulted in one of alternative rock's greatest musical collaborations. Rarely heard any guitar sound that could rival Marr's talents and Morrissey's lyrics are just out of this world......

When looking at the picture sleeves of their albums, you could immediately notice there was something different about them.

Picking a favorite Smiths song is an almost impossible task. It depends on the moment, the mood, the place you're at,...... I defintely always have How Soon is Now, The Boy with the Thorn in his Side, Cemetry Gates, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now and What Difference Does it Make? at the top of my list. But There is a Light that Never Goes Out is just one of those songs that got it all for me.

I only recently learned that Suffer Little Children was actually based on the Moors Murders. The song created a lot of uproar in the UK when the grandfather of one of the victims heard it on the radio. The fact that Morrissey subsequently talked in person to the families and convinced them of his sincerity (he even became friends with some of the family members) is, once again, one of those stories that just increases the special atmosphere surrounding The Smiths' frontman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffer_Little_Children

The Smiths were only together for a year or 5, so it's really incredible they were able to put such a mark on the music scene. I'm not going to expand on the group, what happenend between Marr and Morrissey, the trial which opposed Joyce against Marr/Morrissey. Just have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths if you want a quick tour.

I stil can't believe Marr joined Oasis though..... And I'm convinced Morrissey would like to reunite with Marr if he ever got the opportunity......

Morrissey - Every Day Is Like Sunday


When Morrisey went solo, a lot of the "magic" created through his collaboration with Marr disappeared. But even solo, the guy's got incredible talent. Don't know if a lot of the things being said about him (and stuff he claims himself (eg. his asexuality)) are true, but who cares. If someone can make music the way he does, I couldn't care less about his view on society, politics and culture. The guy is a genius, nuff' said......