Sunday, October 21, 2007

Suits & Songs

Robert Palmer - Johnny & Mary
There are a lot of different types of artists around and, although I'm a big New Wave fan, I'm particularly fond of artists who look on stage as if they just came out of a meeting with the board of directors..... The style and passion some of these guys exhale, shows an affinity with music that is given to only a very few....

Robert Palmer's Johnny & Mary is more than just a great song. The deeper meaning of the lyrics make this song stand out well above the average hit of that period. You can almost see Johnny & Mary running around in your mind while listening, and relate to the way they both behave and feel in their everyday life..... Timeless...... Robert Palmer died in 2003, aged 54....

Leonard Cohen - First we Take Manhattan

To my great shame, I only discovered Leonard Cohen in the beginning of the '90s through his album I'm Your Man, and more precisely through the clip shown above. I literally went out to buy the album minutes after I saw the clip and subsequently bought his anterior albums a couple of days later. I (re)discovered classic songs like Susanne, Hallelujah, .... and funny enough Sisters of Mercy (I only discovered that Andrew Eldritch was a Cohen fan long afterwards).

Cohen is a musical cross between the classic "on screen" cool of Humphrey Bogart, the sex appeal of Mickey Rourke (in his prime) and Sean Connery's natural charm, both in his music stylings as in his appearance. Most men can only dream of possessing such a strong natural charisma....

Paolo Conte - Max

Paolo Conte's Max is (once again) one of those song I kept on repeat for days on end. I knew the melody for years, without knowing who wrote the song. One day it passed on the radio and I payed attention when they mentioned the interpreter. I took note and went out to buy Aquaplano.... It's almost impossible to believe the guy's actually a lawyer with a succesful practice, a poet and a painter. He began his carreer in the music business as writer of some of Adriano Celentano's hits, before going solo in the '70s. His subtle latin charm, Jazz like influences, incomparable voice and overall presence make this one of Europe's most admirable singer songwriters still active.

Choosing just one of Brian Ferry's or Roxy Music's songs proved to be a near impossible task. I narrowed it down to 2 off my all time fave's by the impersonation of British Cool: Sir Brian Ferry, probably the classiest man alive in showbizz ....

Roxy Music - More than This


Roxy Music - Avalon (Live)